Sunday, February 17, 2008

Happy 2nd Birthday Emma!

2 years ago I was lying in a hospital bed, being pumped full of magnesium sulfate and terbutaline. I had once dose of steroids in me and some ambien to help me sleep. Tossing and turning while my husband slept on the chairs by my side. I was praying and praying and praying and talking to my belly in hopes that I could just will her to stay put a few more days…

It all happened so fast. The neonatologist came in to speak with us about what a 27 weeker would be like. While in the room I was heavy into contractions and my water broke which took me from 2cm. dilated to 5cm. all with a whoosh of water. It was all a blur at that point and the next thing I remember is being in the operating room and having her pulled out of me and choosing a name right then and there, Emma Grace. My husband left to be with her and I sat in the recovery room, not really recovering, but rather waiting and hoping to see my baby as soon as possible. Life as we knew it would be tipped turned upside down.

She spent 9 weeks, 4 days, and 28 minutes in the nicu (the first time). Over the next year we struggled through oral aversions, severe reflux, tube feedings, many more hospitalizations. Her first birthday brought some hope and we began to see the light of the tunnel.

It’s been another year of growing. WOW, what a difference a year makes. Emma is an absolute doll to be around. She is bright and cheery. Talks up a storm, sings, counts to 10 and knows her ABC’s. She exceeded any and all expectations. She still has her tube feeding button but is eating 100% There is a concern on whether she may have a mal-absorption disorder of some kind, but other than that she is just perfect.

They say that 2 years marks when preemies are considered “caught up” and we no longer use the adjusted age. I just feel so blessed that we’ve made it this far and that she’s grown into such an independent, bright, and beautiful toddler.

Happy birthday baby!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww She sounds like she's doing wonderful! It seems like only yesterday but yet she has come so far! :)