Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Tuesday, 2/21/06, 7:00 a.m. update and more pictures

7:00 a.m. Emma Update:

The dirctor of the Nicu called this morning. Emma is continuing to do remarkably wel. She has not had any more apneac episodes or desaturations in her o2 levels (other than when she gets upset from being suctioned or a dirty/wet diaper). Turns out her blood tests came back from birth and she has an infection (at birth). they are not sure how she got it since there was no infection of my placenta or the amniotic fluid or uterus that they could tell. So she really was better offn on the outside than inside. They said this was probably the cause of my preterm labor and delivery. She may not have made it had I not delivered when I did. I am so thankful for the doctors course of treatment and that I followed my gut instinct and headed to the hospital on friday night.
So she is doing well. Her oxygen levels are back down to 29%, they asid she could probably be excubated but that they will wait awhile longer to give her time to get some antibiotics in her for the infection so she doesn't have to work too hard. She will get a blood transfusion today since she's had about 20% total of her blood drawn since birth for various tests. It is typical for preemies to need at least one transfusion at some poinbt during their nicu stay. He confirmed that her cranial ultrasound came back great with no bleeding on the brain. She will have another lung x-ray today to check the fat deposits from the pump malfunction. She has gained another once so she is back at 2 pounds 1 ounce.
If she continues to do well and comes off the ventilator than it will become a waiting game of learning how to suck, swallow, and breathe all at the same time and grow. I feel so very blessed. Sean and I will be going to the hospital shortly to visit her. Our nanny will be bringing the kids by to meet us there to visit again and then leaving us there to spend some more quality time with Emma.

Update on me: I get my staples removed at the clinic today at 1:30 p.m. I am nervous that it will hurt. Wish me luck. The pain medications are working well. I am still uncomfortable but not necessarily in pain. So that is good. The pumping is going great. I managed to pump another 3 ounces from both breasts at my 7 a.m. pump session. She will have so much liquid gold by the time she starts getting her gavage feedings I have a feeling she'll plump right up. I hope to make her a nice fleece soft blanket to go under her today and possibly either pick up or make a nicu "safe" t-shirt for her to dress her up a bit.

Here are a few more pictures from yesterday of Caden meeting his new sister and some other various pictures:


No comments: