Tuesday, August 08, 2006

EEG and results

Well, we had a fun filled night with Caden last night. Lily went to Grandma's house so we just had Emma and Caden. We got Caden 2 small new toys to play with and took him swimming and to sit in the spa. We came home and all snuggled up on the couch with popcorn to watch "wild" (Madagascar). Sean headed to bed around 10:30 p.m. and I stayed up with Caden until about 12:30 or 12:45. Sean got up with Em in the night and got up with Caden at 5 a.m. I got up around 7 a.m. We grabbed Mc Donalds on the way to the EEG and Caden thought that was pretty cool.
When we got in the room for the EEG there were a bunch of wires and a hospital bed. Caden immediately started getting a little wild, jumping on the bed and pushing the buttons to make it move up and down. The nurse administering the test was really great with him. He did super while getting all the electrodes on his head. He started whining and asking for them to be taken off about 3/4 through putting them on. When they were done they wrapped his head like a mummy to keep them from coming off. I wish I had a camera. He looked cute. LOL.
The first part of the test they lowered the lights so it was dark and they had a super bright flashing light. They flashed the light quickly, slowly, and with eyes open and closed. After that was done Caden has to blow on a pinwheel for about 3 minutes. We bribed him with stickers for each minute he blew. We were ALL surprised how well he did and how well he listened. Then came the sleep part. I left Sean and caden to cuddle hoping he would fall asleep. I went and scheduled Em's follow-up from the hospital and went to the hospital gift store. When I came back they were unwrapping Caden's head. Apparently, he was NOT going to sleep. He was bouncing around, putting the bed up and down etc. So they called off that portion of the test. He wasn't too thrilled about me washing his hair in their sink.
We left and went to Sean's office for a bit. Caden of course took a nap in the car. We grabbed luch and headed back at 1:00 for his results. The Dr. said that EEG's only show seizures or seizure like behavior about 20% of the time. That means %80 of the time they go undetected by EEG's and the it is controversial whether to diagnose using EEG's. So basically, he said they can be worthless at times and in our instance it was worthless. He does believe he is having seizures or that he is having "seizure like behavior". He's going back in 2 months and they may do another eeg at that time. I don't think I'll allow it since I don't want to put him or us through it again. He has been whining and hyper since he had it done. He does NOT do well with little sleep and I have a feeling the next few days will be a heck of a time getting him back on his schedule. So the short story is we have to watch him and document any seizure type activity we see.
Emma has a follow-up appointment from the hospital tonight with her regular ped. We'll see if she wants any other tests ordered or if Em will be ok for awhile.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Sounds like a very looooong night! Sorry you didn't get the results you were looking for. Prayers for you and the kiddos!